Friday, July 25, 2008

Part of the graduation hoops

It's one week till I give my thesis defense. It's basically a 2 hr event. The 1st hour I get up in front of the Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science Department and give a power point presentation of what I've been up to for the last 2 years, and we are not talking all the vacations I've taken. I talk about my project, give the methods, the statistics I used, the panels, the products, the data crunching, my results and conclusion. Then the professors and/or graduates students grill me on "Why I did.... or Did you think about.... or well, you should've done it like this." Depending on the project the questions aren't bad but about 2 defences ago a Nutrition master's student was shot with question, and mind you this is after she gave her whole presentation, "What was the point??". Let me tell you that is not a question you want to be asked. It pretty much means your project is lame and if you were at any other university you would not earn your degree.


The 2nd hour the professors in my committee go through my written thesis. My thesis is about 120 pages or so. Sounds impressive but most of its the data that was crunched. So all you out there on Aug. 1st at 1pm MST think of me and wish me luck!


No comments: